Saturday, August 25, 2012

ENGLISH CIVIL WAR

After an extended period I have finally finished the first two pike blocks for my growing English Civil War collection. These two units are Charles Gerard`s Regiment of Foot and the Newcastle Whitecoats. The main reason I decided on these as my first units are thanks to Iron Mitten`s great research on his blog for Gerard and the Whitecoats came after reading Christopher Scott`s amazing account of their last stand in his great little book The Battles of Newbury. As some of you may have noticed I rarely use "white" anymore prefering and combination of very light grey or heavily lightened linen colours as I feel these provide a much more accurate representation of the cheap uniforms and rough living. This also means that I can have heaps of variation in a unit adding a little more or less white to each figure. Once again very happy with my selection of Renegade although due to the size of the figures it did make for an interesting time basing on a standard 40 x 40 base and I eventually had to increase the depth to 45mm.







12 comments:

Christopher(aka Axebreaker) said...

Really nice work! The New Castles White coats just have a brill background that makes them a very popular pick for ECW wargamers.

Christopher

fireymonkeyboy said...

Those look great, good faces, and I like that blue.

Steve-the-Wargamer said...

They are just superb...

Jason said...

Very nice indeed! I like the depth to your units too. It gives them that solid look. I've just painted Pennyman's Regiment using Bicorne (same designer made the Renegade figures). There is so much detail that jumps out - great figures.

Nate said...

They look fantastic. Great work on these, I think your base sizes are spot on.

Colorado Gamer said...

Excellently done. 28mm I assume? Who is the manufacturer? I am about to start on my own ECW project - using primarily Foundry figures but I am looking for other figures that will mix well with them.

Greg C.

www.wargamehistory.blogspot.com

Neil said...

What rules are you using?

A J said...

Lovely work, sir! ECW is a period I'd like to get into myself, time and funds permitting.

Vinnie said...

Thanks everyone, very happy with these figures thanks for the heads up on Bicorne was not aware they are the same sculpter and the addition of some of their figures will go a long way add some variation especially to the artillery. Although I seem to be the only person who still likes the Warhammer rules most of the gaming will be using the excellent FAG rules put together by Andrew.

Leroy

Jonathan said...

Absolutely brilliant! I am working on an ECW project myself... so, thanks for the inspiration! :)

parabellum said...

Hey I have a blog for gaming leaders, for support and dealing with day to day issues when running a gaming communit/clan/guild. If you got 5 minutes, come over and check us out:D we don't bite. Be nice to get some more memebers fort active long standing gaming blogs.

even if your not a community leader its good to see the ins and outs of what the leaders do behing the scenes.

www.whatdoleadersthink.blogspot.com

Bluewillow said...

nice one Leroy!

you will have to make a trip to sunny Goulburn we are still using the WABECW rules!!!!

cheers
Matt