Saturday, November 12, 2011

A Signal Station for the Sudan 1884/85

I was a little bored last night after my little daughter had gone to sleep, plus my wife is away for a few days, so I thought I might scratch build a sentry station for my Sudan collection. I built the signal tower out of a balsa wood pack I picked up from Bunnings, along with the scouring pads (for the zeriba). The bell tents are from Perry Miniatures and make for very nice colonial tents. Then this morning I applied a few sprays of brown Army Painter, followed by some dry brushing and then 'hey presto' a signal station.

The image above was my blue print for the design...I tried to replicate it as close as possible.








13 comments:

Rodger said...

Just great Vinnie. I have been thinking of making one myself for a while now. Very impressed.

Der Feldmarschall said...

Very nice!

whisperin' al said...

I've been thinking of making something like that for a while - yous is both inspiring and disheartening as I'm sure mine won't be a patch on it!

Interested in hearing more about the scouring pad zeriba...

Bluewillow said...

sweet!

cheers
Matt

Christopher(aka Axebreaker) said...

Looks just great and the fact you did it so quick all the more impressive!

Christopher

Pat G said...

A great little project - well done

AJ (Allan) Wright said...

Smashing!

Steve-the-Wargamer said...

I want one of them!

Vinnie said...

Thanks for the comments guys and happy to hear that you liked the signal station. The scouring pads are a great aid to make the zeriba with as well as hedges for Europe. But make sure you get the thick industrial ones are the normal ones are not as good. They come in three different colours - green, brown and black....all the best....Vinnie

Remco said...

Never knew they used these in Sudan as well.
Looks realy perfect, good idea!

Cyrus said...

Awesome signal station!

J Womack, Esq. said...

Very nice work there. I may use the same idea for a tower on Mars, in my VSF games.

Couldn't be too hard to do it up in 6mm, 15mm and 28mm, could it? I'm a glutton for punishment, so I am.

leroy said...

Yes i did have a look and it is bloody fantastic! Nice work mate