The last battlefield myself and Larry visited, last November 2010, was that of Battlefield of New Market. The battle was fought on the 15 May 1864 and is famous for the involvement of the 257 cadets from the Virginia Military Institute (VMI). Ten of whom were to die on the battlefield. The battle was the start of the last major campaign to be fought in the Shenandoah Valley and also one of the last Confederate victories over Union forces in the area in which the Confederate forces under the command of one MajGen J.C. Breckinridge, who was once the Vice President of America, defeated the Union Army under the command of MajGen F. Sigel. The battlefield today is mainly focused on the area directly around the Bushong Farm and hill. The remainder of the field has be split by a major road and is not as well preserved as the farm and hill area.
The fence at the rear of the northern end of the orchard. In this location the badly beaten Confederate troops rallied and fought off the Union counter attack. It was also the location of the start of the famous charge by the VMI cadets.
Looking south across "The Field of Lost Shoes" to the orchard and Bushong Farm from the Union position. The mowed area represents the charge and line of advance of which the VMI Cadets took in order to capture one of the Union guns on Bushong Hill.
This brass 12 pd Napoleon represents the position of the Union battery, charged by the VMI cadets.