Sunday, November 21, 2010

My trip to Antietam - 17 Sep 1862 (16 Nov 2010)

Last week I was fortunate enough to have travelled over to the East Coast of the US. My intention for the trip was to visit a number of American Civil War battlefields. I was also very fortunate to have stayed with two very wonderful and welcoming friends, Larry and Joan Caskey, who without their kindness and willingness, to allow me to stay in their house, I would not of been able to have made the trip. I would also like to thank Larry for the four days he spent driving me around the battlefields and narrating each scene as we either walked or drove past (all done with the sound of 'Dixie' and other period music being played). In regards to my visits to the battlefields I would like to brake them down piece by piece and hopefully in order for the presentation on the blog. Firstly starting with the Battlefield of Antietam.


In some cases I have tried to take the same image as either a recent painting or a photo from the actual period just so the comparison of 'then and now'. Above is the present day image of a Confederate battery on Dunker Hill which in the opening stages of the battle would have been under the command of Col. Stephen D. Lee, who commanded the 2nd Battalion of Longstreet's Corps Artillery. Pictured in the back ground is the Dunker Church. It was close to this position that the top image was taken after the battle by Alexander Gardner. The Confederate battery is comprised of two smooth bore Napoleons and two rifled artillery pieces and which is now positioned just outside the Antietam Museum.


The Dunker Church. To the right and rear can be seen the West Woods, which are much the same today as it was on the day.

From the same position on Dunker Hill looking north towards the 'Cornfield' and where General Hooker's First Corps first began their advance.

Keith Rocco's painting of the fighting along the Hagerstown Turnpike.

The Hagerstown Turnpike today

The Hagerstown Turnpike after the battle.

2 comments:

Bluewillow said...

great work on the then and now photos

cheers
matt

BigLee said...

Great pictures. The state of preservation of the battlefield is amazing.