Sunday, February 14, 2010

Regiment De Zamora - Front Rank Miniatures

Four weeks ago Andrew convinced me to change my basing from four figures per base to eight. And from playing larger Corps size games to smaller Brigade or Divisional size games. So I have been busy down sizing my Spanish Army into units of 32 figures (from 17 Battalions to eight battalions). I have to admit I have been wanting to do this for years and was always overawed with painting battalions of 36 figures or more. However when I looked back onto the Army I had created, in the vicinity of 20 x units of 16 figures, I realised that I had done it anyway. So all that was left was to pull the figures of the old and place them on the new. The first battalion off the block is Regiment De Zamora of General De La Romana's division of 1808. I have based then up on a lighter painted base so to try and get the troops marching to battle on a hot summers day, where the grass is dry and the soil dusty. Not sure if it is the right look, so I might throw a few more tufts of green grass on as well. I will place the other units up as I go.



12 comments:

DeanM said...

Beautifully painted figures. The detail on the grenadiers' bearskin bags are very nice. I must admit I was a bit confused by your opening statement of increasing the number of figures per stand and decreasing the size of your games. Great looking figures, in any case. Dean

Vinnie said...

Sorry Dean. We normally played divisional or corps games, which took for ever. Now it will just be Brigade or a small division. Smaller game, hopefully.

Cheers

Vinnie

DeanM said...

Vinnie:

No problem - I'm the one - I've only played skirmish Napoleonics. I don't have near enough for division size units yet. Divisional and Corps level games in 28mm - wow, now that's gaming. Thanks, Dean

Consul said...

Bobby Zamora?

BigRedBat said...

"War is on the side of the big battalions". They look great!

A year back I shifted from 16 figure ancient units to 24s and I've not regretted it.

leroy said...

As many will have noticed most of our ancient units are on the larger size and they look great, Nathan's Spanish are no exception, great paint job, good size units for a rule system that means you can finish a game!

AJ (Allan) Wright said...

Black-lining the belts, etc. on these white figures creates an amazing effect. I wish I could get my white-coated figures to look half as good.

Vinnie said...

Thanks Guys for the comments. True Leroy you and I have been doing the large units of Ancients for a number of years, but for some reason, large napoleonic units seemed scary? The white uniforms seems to like me for some reason don't know why I paint them, I just do. It is easy enough to do once you get the hang of it.

Thanks again

Vinnie

leroy said...

Nathan have you forgotten how many Austrian units I have painted for the "Grand Manner", no unit size scares me now!!!!

Bluewillow said...

lovely work mate, looking forward to giving them spainish a touch up......for once. I knew one day you would join the darkside of big battalions.

cheers
matt

Vinnie said...

Cheers Matty,

I now have eight battalions based up as 32's all Spanish. I am also getting a couple of British Battalions from Andrew, which beef them up a little against the French.

All the best

Nathan

Chamberí-JaiAlai said...

fantastic miniatures.
good job