Wednesday, February 6, 2008

Day Four -Flames of War

Day four was the last day of gaming for us, over the Australia Day long weekend. We kicked off about 1pm that afternoom and were back in Johns' garage for the game. John had planned the game for us, which was to be a airborne assault by German para and glider troops. John and I were to play the Germans and Tony and Brett played the American ground forces.

American Artillery battery fires in support of thier infantry brothers.

American Airborne Command bases, from Johns' collection.

A M10 tank destroyer waits in ambush for German armour.

The scenario was for the German glider troops to land and secure one major and one minor objective and the para landings were to secure the other objectives and hold to our re-enforcements came onto the board. Our opposition objective was simply to hold those locations.

German gliders land on and around thier objectives and assault.

German forces consisted of one Glider Company plus support, one para landing company plus support and for reserves six stugs coming in from off the table. American forces however were quite strong - one company of American paras with support, one US infantry company again with heavy support plus a tank destroyer platoon and in reserve I think three platoons of sherman tanks.

But for some reason the Americans fight well and the glider troops are beaten back.

A German 7.5cm LG40 fires to support the attacks on the objectives.

Only one objective was taken and held. But by the last turn these troops were under heavy fire from American MG platoon and and tank platoon.

Well our gliders and paras got down OK, but the glider troops suffered heavy casualties attacking thier objectives and had to pull back. The para boys got down Ok, but had to secure thier drop zones and reach thier canisters before using there normal weapons. A lot of them never made it. This then became the begining of the end for us. So in hope of extending the game for a little longer we decided to bring on the reserves early. Again this only prolonged our final defeat. With very few troops on the ground there was not a chance in hell we were going to gaine victroy, so victory went to the Americans.

German reserves were called forward early ( I forgot to mention we had a Tiger).

In all the weekend was most enjoyable, long but good. A lot of gaming was played and because of that it has taken nearly two weeks before we have our next game. Thanks again for all those that came along and made this weekend possible.


Giles said...

What beautiful painting! I love the command base with those mape. Lovely pics and an entertaining report.

Best wishes


Vinnie said...

Thanks Giles,
It was a big weekend and we were all a little tied at the end o four days of solid gaming. The figures in the last game were from Johns' collection and were painted by John Boultwood in the UK. I don't think you can get any better then that.


Declan said...

Great blog inspired me to do my own. Keep up the good work.


Declan said...
This comment has been removed by the author.